Divorce is the final step. If all family law issues have been resolved and the spouses agree to a divorce, the divorce order can be obtained without ever having to go to court.
Separation and divorce are some of the most stressful events that you will experience. I am committed to helping you achieve your divorce so that you can start to move forward with your life.
What is a divorce & how do you obtain one?
- • A divorce is the final step in the separation process – it is a legal formality.
- • You do not need to be divorced to be separated.
- • You can resolve all family law issues without needing a divorce first – you will, however, need a divorce to get remarried.
- • A court will not grant a divorce order until child support is settled.
- • A court action must be started to obtain a divorce order, but if a couple has settled all their other family law issues, the court process is simplified. In this case, the divorce order is obtained on an uncontested basis by way of “desk order” which means that there is no court hearing or need for anyone to attend court. The lawyer will file the required documents on behalf of the “claimant” or filing party, and within a few months a judge will issue a divorce order.
- • The divorce order takes effect 31 days after the date the order is made by the judge. After the divorce order takes effect you can apply for a certificate of divorce.
Guidance through your divorce
I am a knowledgeable and practical lawyer whom you can trust. My goal is to determine the solution that is best for you and your family. I will advise you on your rights and obligations and equip you with the information you need to make informed decisions. I am accessible, which means prompt responses to your questions, emails, and phone calls; you will be informed about developments in your case as they occur.